Good evening everyone!
I've been tossing around the idea recently of starting a Patreon. I've noticed a lot of artists who do more classic work (draw, paint, etc.) seem to have decent success with the system, and It makes me wonder if I would be able to do something similarly successful with a tangible craft. Obviously since the majority of my content isn't exactly downloadable (I've only got the one tutorial on the go so far), I have to wonder.
(For those unsure of what Patreon entails, check out their info page --> patreon.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/a…
[u][b]Things I've considered offering;[/b][/u]
- Exclusive access to occasional commission slots (I really don't want to open up custom commissions again on the basis I did in the past. However, I would be willing to occasionally do a few jobs here and there for people whom I trust, and know I won't have to chase for payment).
- Advance access to any ready-made items I post (I would likely post things on patreon a week, or at least several days, in advance of posting them anywhere else-).
- Advance access to grab bags (let's face it - a lot of folks miss out when I do them because of timezones, etc.).
---> Expanding on the above, the potential to get to choose one or two of the small items that go in your bag, rather than a completely blind pull.
- Advance access to tutorials (probably by several weeks to a month. Also, patrons of certain tiers would just get the tutorials included in their pledge reward.)
- Entries in a once-per-month raffle to get a free item (this could be anything from a bracelet up to a cloak, or even a set of Jedi robes, depending on my mood).
- Exclusive access to patron-only livestreams.
- A once per month instructional livestream where I could demonstrate making an item and answer questions on the process. This could include basically anything except sewing, because the machine is just too loud and unwieldy. Aaand obviously no metal-working. Because grinder is not sound-friendly either. But leather, jewellery, chainmaille, crochet, etc. That kind of thing.
- A once per month Q&A session via livestream. You ask me questions (that aren't of an inappropriate or intrusive personal nature, obviously), and I'll answer to the best of my abilities.
- Input on projects I want to try out. You can suggest things that I look into, and if it's feasible then I'll see what I can do.
- Certain tiers get a monthly or bi-monthly, or quarterly item. (Need to look into how this would work, because shipping is unfortunately expensive.)
Totally open to any suggestions on content for patrons, and suggestions in general!
Also, if the idea in general is something that interests you, post and let me know. I would definitely have varying levels of tiers (low amounts like $1, $5, $10, $15, mid range like $20 to $50 and a few high, but likely no more than $100.) so that anyone could feel comfortable supporting. And it would be a monthly basis, not a per-project basis simply because I don't release things like tutorials that often. I intend to release more, it's just a matter of making time.